No matter how minimal your skin care regime, the one thing you cannot forego is the use of moisturizers or skin lotions. Winter especially demands that we use good quality lotions to keep the skin looking nourished, healthy and supple. Today, more and more women and men are jumping on the organic, nontoxic and green beauty bandwagon. However; the term organic and natural is often loosely branded. Many of the so called moisturizers are still laden with harmful elements that confuse the organic or green buyer. So in this blog post, we will discuss 5 of the best moisturizers and 5 of the worst.
But first some basics:
What is a moisturizer?
By defining what a moisturizer is, you will be in a better position to make informed choices when buying moisturizing products. Moisturizer or a skin lotion can help hydrate, soothe and heal dry, chapped and irritated skin. So, the main ingredient in a moisturizer should be water which the skin easily absorbs to hydrate away the dryness brought on by environmental factors. The other ingredients in a lotion or moisturizer are lipids, sterols, humectants, emollients and natural oils.
Naturally, all moisturizers are not made equal
Today, there are dozens of moisturizers available on the shelves of retail stores. Many of these include minerals and vitamins that lure shoppers into buying them. First of all: these vitamins and minerals are added in such small quantities that they make absolutely no difference to our skin. For these trace amounts of so called nourishing nutrients, these big brands charge you exorbitant amounts of money. Secondly, all moisturizers eventually degrade as they get exposed to light, heat etc. So the main role a moisturizer has to play is to add water to the skin, and hold the moisture in through the natural lipids present in it. Thirdly, and the topic of this blog post: some brands continue adding harmful heavy metals and other toxic substances to the moisturizers.
Naturally, the best moisturizers will not contain these terrible products and actually do what they claim to do: hydrate and nourish your skin. So let us list the good and the bad products:
5 of the best moisturizer brands
- Sibu Beauty Sea Buckthorn Body cream- This moisturizer contains 100% natural ingredients that are great for all skin types. The cream is powered naturally with meadowfoam, shea butter and aloe for a naturally moisturized and hydrated skin.
- 30 SPF Clear Zinc Sunscreen Lotion- This is a marvelous product from Babo Botanicals that is made using certified organic anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory ingredients. It moisturizes and hydrates the whole family without being greasy.
- Be Green Bath and Body Citrus Lotion- This lotion is certified by the EWG.org as completely safe based on their stringent testing standards. The fact that the product tested “low hazard” for both cancer and overall hazard makes it a winner in our books!
- Cellex C Hydration Complex Gel- This product is also a winner as per the EWG.org website. The allergies and immunotoxicity was low and overall hazard also negligible.
- Cococare 100% coconut oil- If you haven’t already used coconut oil for moisturizing your skin and hair, then you have been missing out on the good stuff. This coconut oil from Cococare is 100% organic and cold pressed. So you are going to do yourself a world of good.
Now let us enlist 5 of the worst moisturizers:
5 of the Worst Moisturizers
As per the EWG website, following moisturizers rated poorly because of their allergies and immunotoxicity and overall hazard:
- Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturzier-This product got an overall rating of negative 10 on the site as it could give rise to endocrine disruptions, irritation of skin, eyes and lungs as well as other organ system toxicity.
- Boots No.7 Moisturizing Serum-Another product with a rating of 10 on the EWG site. Could cause biochemical or cellular level changes, allergies and immunotoxicity as well as moderate risk of cancer.
- Gold Bond Ultimate Sheer Ribbons Body Lotion-Rated a poor 9 on EWG thanks to high overall hazard, very high developmental and reproductive toxicity and moderate allergies and immunotoxicity.
- Jergens Antiaging Multivitamin Moisturizer- This brand gets a dismal 9 thanks to concerns about endocrine disruption, low to moderate cancer hazards, and high allergies and immunotoxicity.
- Vaseline Aloe Fresh Total Moisture-According to EWG, this moisturizer Retinyl Acetate which can lead to biochemical or cellular level changes. It also has developmental and reproductive toxicity. It has moderate to high overall hazard.
We hope these lists help you determine the top brands that are not just better value for money but also safe, organic and completely non toxic.